The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust aims to identify and groom outstanding talents to become leaders who will create positive change and inspire society to strive for excellence. Since 1998, some HK$400 million were awarded to more than 400 young talents to support their undergraduate studies. For 2017/18, five scholarships (four for local students including one with special educational needs and one for non-local Mainland students) are available for HKBU undergraduate degree students.
Each full scholarship covers tuition fee, academic expenses and living costs for the entire normal length of study towards an undergraduate degree programme. The value of each award is at HK$107,500 each year for local students and HK$185,400 each year for Mainland students.
To be eligible for The Hong Kong Jockey Club Undergraduate Scholarship, applicants must:
1. Be a permanent Hong Kong resident or a citizen of the People’s Republic of China;
2. Be a full-time first-year or second-year student studying their first undergraduate degree;
3. Have high standard of academic performance:
- First-year applicants must demonstrate academic excellence in HKDSE or another recognised entry qualification. JUPAS entrants should have acheived a total HKDSE score of 25 or above from the four core plus one elective subjects. If selected, the scholarship will be offered on the condition that the student will achieve a GPA of 3.50 or is ranked among top 10 percent in class (the group of students of the same cohort studying the same programme) in the first term.
- Second-year applicants must have attained a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or was ranked among top 10 percent in class in their first year (the group of students of the same cohort studying the same programme). Qualified students will be invited for application by email.
- Students with special educational needs must have attained a cumulative GPA of 2.80 or above at the time of application (for second-year applicants) or in the first term (for first-year applicants).
4. Have proficiency in Chinese (including Putonghua) and English; and
5. Provide proofs showing special educational needs, if applicable.
6. Recipients of The Jockey Club Scholarship should not or should no longer receive another full scholarship or any other scholarships or awards that subsidise their local tuition fees, academic expenses and living expenses. Therefore, students receiving the following scholarships are NOT eligible to apply for the Jockey Club Scholarship:
- HKBU Admission Scholarship Scheme for the Mainland Applicants
- HKSAR Government Scholarship
- Scholarship for Prospective English Teachers
- Swire University Scholarship
- Mr. & Mrs. Franco Cutrupia Mainland Students Scholarship
- Elizabeth Law Scholarship Fund for Mainland Students
- Multi-faceted Excellence Scholarship
- Centaline Charity Fund Scholarship
Recipients of the following tuition-waiver or renewable scholarships can still apply provided that they agree to return the scholarship money received in 2016/17 and/or 2017/18 to the University or School/Faculty, upon the award of the Jockey Club Scholarship. But they will still be honoured with a certificate of award without any monetary reward.
- HKBU Admission Scholarship Scheme for Outstanding Local Students
- School of Business Star / Super Star Admission Scholarship
- Science Entrance Scholarship
- Admission Scholarship for Outstanding Local Chinese Medicine Students
- Dr. Stephen Hui Prize in Athletic – Admission Scholarship for Elite Athlete Students for PERM Program
- HKBU Elite Athletes Admission Scheme
- Tsim Sha Tsui District Kai Fong Welfare Association Admission Scholarship Scheme for Outstanding South and South East Asian Ethnic Minority Students
Scholars are selected according to the following criteria:
a. Intellect: academic achievements, analytical aptitude and appetite; genuine interest in their subject of study; imagination, curiosity, and a global vision.
b. Leadership: outstanding leadership and team work inside or outside school activities, personal accomplishments or community commitments; potential and capabilities in challenging status quo; embrace diversity and a spirit of collaboration.
c. Character: strength of character – truth, courage, devotion to duty, empathy, social awareness, commitment to fairness and justice, compassion.
d. Commitment to service: commitment to betterment of others, care for social and community issues of public rather than personal benefit; connect with Hong Kong and has a view about how its community needs may be addressed.
CONDITIONS FOR RENEWAL
The scholarship is renewed on an annual basis subject to:
a. The scholar’s continued enrolment in the same institution;
b. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.30 or a class rank among top 10 percent;
c. Participation in community services; and
d. Recommendation by the institution.
The Jockey Club Scholar Experience
Recipients of the Scholarship may be called “Jockey Club Scholars” or “JC Scholars” in short. Being a JC Scholar, the student will become a member of a network of past and current JC Scholars and enjoy a range of privileges, such as opportunities to participate in learning, networking and community service programmes. All JC Scholars are expected to actively support alumni activities to the best of their abilities. Most importantly, they are required to attend the scholarship award presentation ceremony and an induction programme. Scholars are also automatically enrolled as a member of the Jockey Club Scholars Alumni Association, a self-running, Trust-supported organisation that was established to mobilise JC Scholars to serve the community.
Please click here for the Regulations of the Scholarship Scheme and here for the Application Form.
(This is a joint application form with the HKSAR Government Scholarship Fund. Please view the application eligibility of the HKSAR Government Scholarship Fund at https://sa.hkbu.edu.hk/sfa/announcement/scholarships. Note that the requirements for the two scholarships are NOT the same.)
The completed application form together with relevant supporting documents (including examination certificate, unofficial academic transcripts, certificates of awards/scholarships obtained, documentary proof for participation in extra-curricular activities/volunteer/community services, etc.) should be submitted to the Office of Student Affairs, WLB 401 (Rm 401, Level 4, The Wing Lung Bank Building for Business Studies), Shaw Campus, at or before 5:30pm, September 29, 2017 (Friday).
In the event of unforeseeable circumstances, such as extreme weather, that resulted in the sudden closure of SFA Counter on the day of the deadline, SFA will extend the deadline of application to 5:30pm of the following working day.
Partial submissions / late applications will NOT be considered. Also, application form with e-signature or signature not signed by applicant, and scanned or photocopy of application form will NOT be considered.
Short-listed candidates will be invited to attend an internal selection panel interview in mid-October 2017 (It is a "MUST" to attend the interview in Hong Kong). Suitable candidates will then be recommended to the Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust for their final selection. The final interview with the Charities Trust will be arranged between mid November and early December 2017. In May or June of 2018, it is mandatory for all recipients of The Hong Kong Jockey Club Scholarship to attend both the Scholars Orientation Programme and Scholarship Presentation Ceremony.
Note: Students who cannot attend the panel interviews, Scholars Orientation Programme and/or Presentation Ceremony due to exchange/placement/internship should NOT apply.
An information session will be held at 5:00pm on 15 September 2017 (Friday) at AAB 301, in which more details about the Scholarship will be introduced. JC Scholars from HKBU will also share their precious experiences and hints for successful application in the session. Students who are interested in applying for the Scholarship are recommended to attend. Please click here for online registration of the information session.
Please click here for general tips on completing scholarship application forms.
Faculty members are welcome to encourage eligible students to apply.
For enquiries, please feel free to contact us at 3411 2307 or by email to email@example.com